Saturday, March 7, 2015

Am I autistic? Does it matter?

My counselor told me the other day that he thought I might have Asperger's.  Among other reasons, for  the fact that my most successful,  satisfying job is working for people who don't speak a lot of English,  with Co workers who generally speak no English,  with customers that my interaction is short,  limited and specific. Of course,  I corrected him and pointed out that since the DSM V,  it's all Autistic Disorder now and it's not called Asperger's anymore.

My first thought was about how to get an official diagnosis. Then I thought,  but why? It's not going to change anything. The treatments I'm receiving would be the same. Then I thought,  maybe it would excuse my awkward and sometimes unintentionally offensive behavior. Then I thought,  but is that a cop out? But then I thought,  instead of being a parent of a child with autism,  I would be a father with autism,  of a child with autism.

I already classified as not neurotypical,  because of the ADHD. And it's commonly thought that autism is a "spectrum" on which we all fall,  with more or less "autistic traits" and with a child with autism it's expected that I would have more autistic traits than is typical. I've always known I think about things differently from most other people. It does seem like a simple and probably accurate explanation. But I don't think I'd be comfortable just self-diagnosing myself as autistic.

Of course there's the valid point that this is all a question of labels and grouping,  which isn't necessarily a good thing. But I like boxes. If I think outside of The Box,  it's because I made a new box next door. That's a human thing though,  the need to identify and classify.

Ha,  the real result could be the new,  "It's a black thing,  you wouldn't understand," which is a concept I don't like. But I already know that someone really can't understand being a parent without actually being a parent,  or being the parent of a child with autism. I guess what's important is to know that you can't understand a situation you aren't personally experiencing,  but try to understand it anyway. Which is probably why anyone who does not have a child with autism would be reading this blog in the first place.

3 comments:

  1. Listen:

    Either you're autistic or you're not.

    You're welcome in the Autistic Community, either way. Either you're a neurobrother (if you're autistic) or if not, we'll gladly count you as a neurocousin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SPECIAL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE AUTISM CURE HE
    RENDER TO MY SON.
    I'm giving a testimony about Dr. WILLIAMS for the great deed he have done for my family, he has
    the natural cure to autism, he cured my 7 years old son from autism ,
    I went through different website where I saw a testimonies about this great Dr Williams, I was like: 'Dr Williams have the autism cure why are
    people still suffering from it?' I thought of it, then I contact Dr Williams, I didn't believe him that much, I just wanted to give him a try, he replied my mail and Needed some Information about my son, then I sent them to him, he prepared the (CURE) and sent it to me through Courier Service and he also give me details to the Courier Office, that i will receive the medicine between 1-3 working days,after getting the medicine from the delivering company my son started using the medicine as prescribed by Dr Williams and i took my son for check-up 1 month after finishing the medicine, then the doctor confirmed that my son is now autism free, if you are suffering from autism you can also contact him on his email address: drwilliams098675@gmail.com for his help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a sign of gratitude on how my son was saved from autism, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered autism in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have difficulty with communication,and he always complain of poor eye contact  . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who have the cure to autism . I never imagined autism  has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.autism  has a cure and is a herbal cure,you can contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get this medication, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete