Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Our First Parent Teacher Conference

Kristy and I went to Joseph's first parent-teacher conference today. His teacher and aides had a lot of great things to say about him. He's doing really well with the routine in the classroom, and is even transitioning on his own from one activity to the next (even though sometimes he tries to cheat and skip things he doesn't like). He loves the art table and the sensory table, and he's showing real interest in reading and writing and knows the letters in his name. They also said he is a very hard worker, which I'm very glad to hear.

Two of the most exciting things: first, he's already met one of his IEP goals for the year, making eye contact when spoken to, and he's making great progress on his other goals like playing turn-based games with his peers. The other is he's figured out a pattern game on the class calendar that none of the other students (including the typically developing peer models) have figured out yet. His teacher even used the word "brilliant" to describe Joseph.

She said they would be happy to have me observe class some time. They said today was one of his best days all year, which his bus driver said they told her last week too, so it sounds like he's improving all the time. I'm excited to see first hand how he's functioning at school. And I'm also looking forward to going with them for their first class field trip to the pumpkin patch next week. :) I haven't posted any photos of video recently, so I'll be sure to get some good stuff.

I also observed Joseph's social skills group last Thursday but totally forgot to write about it, so I will post about that later. It will be interesting to compare what I saw there to what I will see at school.

1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    I am so glad that he is doing so well! I truly believe that it is because he has two wonderful parents that take an interest in him and his progress. So keep up the great work!

    ~Mandy

    ReplyDelete